Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wrapping up a swapbot series ...


Over the course of 2010, there's been a Swapbot group devoted to making a deck of altered playing cards. The project had everyone in the group making 2 of each card and mailing them out to two other participants. I chose to make 3 of each card - mailing out two, and keeping my *own* set as well. I joined the project after it had begun, so I have a few gaps in my deck, but I thought I'd share a few here.

One of the requirements of the project is that the suit and value of the card should remain visible and/or be obvious. In recent cards I've been creating very lean graphic interpretations of the suit and number. I've also been playing with texture (not so obvious on your screen, I know).

The 4 of Diamonds has textured paper glued on the back after the *real* diamonds on the card were cut out. The paper on the front is also textured (oooh, fuzzy!). The 5 is black paint stamped on brown butcher paper with a file folder label. The 6 was created by cutting out six diamonds and playing around with interesting patterns. The 8 is a simple nod to the eight directions of the compass. These four make a nice set colour-wise as well - although that was completely unintentional. I've been stuck in a red / black / tan / ivory colour scheme lately. Can't explain it and don't know when I'll be out of it. Not yet, obviously.

Anywho ... may post more of my cards in the future - but thought you might like a peek at a few of my favourites so far.

3 comments:

Ronna said...

Very cool!

Misti Ko said...

Thanks for posting. These are fabulous. One day, I hope to make my own set.

Susan said...

These are great, Penelope! Thanks so much for sharing them.