Monday, October 11, 2010

Where to find me Saturday (hm ... sounds familiar)


This Saturday, October 16, I'll be selling zines at Canzine West. They invited me to be a vendor and since I already have all my zines ready and priced (from Word on the Street), I thought I might as well. The hours are more to my taste (starting at 1 pm) and I'm curious to see what Canzine West might look like, and well, I was going to go check it out anyway, so going as a seller isn't much more difficult. The table rental was amazingly reasonable, and it includes a subscription to Broken Pencil Magazine.

In fact, it looks pretty much like Broken Pencil is part and parcel of participating, even as a spectator ... I see the $5 entry fee also gets you a copy of their fall issue. It's been awhile since I had a look at Broken Pencil ... I remember it as quirky and fun and well, interesting. I look forward to reading it and hope it jiggles loose whatever writing/reading block I've been experiencing ever since I started making art.

Back in the day (pre "art making") I used to be well-read - not a voracious reader, but always in the middle of two or three books at a time. I even wrote on a fairly regular basis - then everything went visual. Not that I'm complaining, I love making art, and words always manage to be part of what I do, but lately I can't seem to get through even a full page of text before my head begs off and my hands want to "do" something instead.

Here's the specs for Canzine West ... if you find yourself in downtown Vancouver and zines are your thing (or you wonder if they might be) and you'd like your own bright shiny new copy of Broken Pencil, come say hi ... I'll be in there somewhere.

Saturday, October 16, 2010, 1pm - 7pm,
W2 Storyeum, 151 West Cordova Street
Cost: $5 at the door.
Includes a copy of the fall issue of Broken Pencil.

Giant Zine Fair: Over 150 zines from across Canada on display and for sale! The heart of the event, indie publishers both in print and online come from across the country and the continent to show their wares! Be amazed at the creativity, ingenuity, and sheer weirdness!

No comments: